Thank you for your interest in joining the Esprit team!
The Esprit Orchestra Invites applications for the position of
The Esprit Orchestra is seeking a dynamic, creative arts management professional to assume the role of Operations Manager. Working as a member of the management team and reporting to the Music Director and Board of Directors, the Operations Manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the organization and realization of strategic goals. The Operations Manager is responsible for establishing and implementing a sustainable operating model that balances artistic vision with sound financial and business practices. This position requires knowledge of the arts sector, development, marketing and communications, outreach, concert production, financial management, and office administration.
Post Date: February 4, 2022
Deadline: March 4, 2022
Compensation: $45,000-$55,000 annual salary
Start Date: March / April 2022
- Oversee human resources (staff, contractors, volunteers) and support the Board with organizational administration, as required.
- Ensure high level of office management, including phone, email and in-person communications, regular monitoring of the office mailbox, maintenance of office equipment and associated leases, purchase of insurance, office lease negotiations, fulfillment of office supply orders, and monitoring of computer software, network connections and donor database management.
- Coordinate and assist with executing Music Director’s artistic plans including but not limited to artist contract negotiations, commission agreements, artist management, sheet music rental, SOCAN license filing.
- Maintain Esprit’s paper mail and e-mail lists; coordinate the booking of advertisements
- Complete all private and public funding applications and associated reports.
- Develop, coordinate, implement and maintain all fundraising and sponsorship strategies and programs, including Esprit’s annual Music Director’s Letter direct mail campaign; ensure that strategies are aligned with artistic and organizational vision.
- Direct the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual donors and institutional funders.
- Process and record all donations, sponsorships and grants, produce and file tax receipts and acknowledgements as needed; maintain donor and patron database.
Concert and Event Production:
- Liaise with contractors involved with concert production, recording, and library services, to assist in concert production and recording activities.
- Liaise with venue partners, primarily the Royal Conservatory, on all aspects of concert season (production, box office, and event coordination departments)
- Work in tandem with Esprit’s Personnel Manager and Toronto Musicians’ Union representative to ensure performances abide by union standards
Marketing & Communications:
- Work in tandem with MD and Esprit staff to plan and implement communications strategies for short-term and long-term events and engagements.
- Supervise and liaise with design contractors in Marketing & Communications (advertisements, graphic design, promotional video production, creation of online and print collateral).
- Maintain Esprit’s social media accounts as needed; update Esprit website as needed.
- Work with the Treasurer, accountant, and Music Director to develop budgets and monitor all finances to ensure good financial management.
Other duties as required.
Qualifications & Assets:
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function with relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3-5 years of demonstrated arts administration experience, preferably in a not-for-profit cultural organization
- A successful track record of fundraising, and some marketing and communications experience
- Proficiency in Adobe, G-Suite is an asset
- Proven leadership capabilities; excellent problem solving, organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral
- Proactive, flexible and self-motivating
- Exceptional judgement, discretion and diplomacy
- Ability to see the big picture while being attentive to detail
- Database management experience and expertise, preferably with Sumac
- Strong technology capabilities (Constant Contact, WordPress, social media, Zoom and other programs) are desirable
- Basic accounting skills and familiarity with QuickBooks and CADAC are desirable
- Interest in, and understanding of, contemporary orchestral music
Established in 1983, Esprit Orchestra is Canada’s only full-sized orchestra devoted exclusively to the creation and presentation of new classical music. Esprit presents an annual subscription series at the acoustically acclaimed Koerner Hall at the Royal Conservatory of Music. The orchestra is devoted to developing a Canadian musical literature and, to this end, it commissions and premieres works from a range of established and emerging composers and ensures continued public access to these works. The orchestra’s activities also include education, outreach and mentoring programs, CD recordings, and touring. Excellence, innovation and the ability to collaborate with other organizations in an exemplary, trendsetting ways are Esprit hallmarks.
Esprit Orchestra is committed to creating a diverse environment and prides itself on being an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from members of Black, Indigenous, and racialized communities; 2SLGBTQIAP; disabled people; and members of other equity seeking groups.
If you require accommodation and/or assistance during the hiring process, please contact us in advance at email@example.com. We strive to provide reasonable accommodations upon request.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to Margaret Logan, Chair, Board of Directors firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Operations Manager in the subject line no later than 5pm on March 4, 2022. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. No phone calls please.